Building a new home is an amazing, exciting process! It can also be a tedious process, in which thousands and thousands of decisions need to get made. But don’t be intimidated — be prepared!
Here are a few key points that will help you break down the process as you prepare to build or remodel a home:
- Take it one step at a time. Rather than letting your mind rush ahead, focus on the beginning. Alongside your builder or designer, create a schedule of decisions that have to be made in order, and then allow yourself to be concerned with only what’s immediately ahead, rather than overwhelmed by the whole list.
- Hire a designer. Share your style and priorities with the designer and then let them take the lead, doing what they do best. A designer will fill in the gaps you’re not familiar with and also have processes and connections for doing things more efficiently than you would on your own. Choose a designer that you connect well with and you’ll develop a sense of trust that will ease a lot of weight off of you.
- Become familiar with your style. It’s one thing to tell your architect that you love “french country;” it’s another to point out specific moulding styes or ceiling silhouettes that you consider must-haves. Spend time browsing sites like Pinterest and Houzz, pin-pointing features you are continually drawn to. This will help you communicate more clearly the breadth of style you want to evoke in your new home.
- Make it your own. Don’t lose sight of who you are just because you’re looking at lots of examples of well-designed rooms. This is your chance to create a home of beauty and functionality that is custom to you. Write down what makes your lifestyle unique, where your family spends the most time, and which features are most important to you, and then find ways to put your own stamp on this new home.
- Choose select items of inspiration and work around them. A room doesn’t magically come together all at once. Choose a select number of items you have fallen in love with — a chair, wallpaper design, sink, family heirloom, etc — and share this with your designer. A single piece of inspiration can be the building block for a room that’s all you.
When you face the home building process with excitement, an organized plan, and an effective way to communicate, the project will come together more smoothly and with greater reflection of your own style — one little step at a time!
HENDEL Homes builds distinctive homes with meticulous planning and the very best workmanship. With trust and customer care at the core, the HENDEL team prioritizes the desires and needs of the client, gently guiding them through the home building process. Connect with HENDEL Homes today!