Midwest Home, Mar 2016
Spring is almost here, so it is time to freshen up, protect & prepare our homes. Remember your home is a living structure, which will move and shift with the change in seasons and as it continues to settle. We’ve put together a helpful Spring Cleaning/Maintenance Checklist for you – so you can be sure you are ready to focus your time on enjoying the warmth & sun!
– Switch over HVAC from Winter to Summer. This will adjust your humidifier.
– Service A/C Systems.
– Inspect for any cracked grout in bathrooms.
– Inspect for paint touch-ups (many times trim will separate but go back together with the warmer more humid months).
– Test smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
– Organize garage to make efficient room for sporting goods and recreational vehicles. Also, take stock of your garden tools and lawn-maintenance equipment.
– Wash all windows, inside and out – and reinstall screens on windows and doors, where needed.
– Schedule a family cleaning day to sort winter items (clothes, blankets, decor, etc.) for discards and donations before you store them away for next year.
– Look for shifting, cracked or missing shingles, shake or slate.
– Clean gutters and downspouts & check for any looseness/leaks.
– Inspect exterior painting and caulking.
– Repair and seal the deck, if any maintenance is needed.
– Service the outside unit of the air conditioning system to have coils cleaned & filters changed.
– Touch up peeling or damaged paint.
– Fill any concrete cracks with filler or silicone caulk.
Lawn & Garden
– Rake the lawn to remove any branches/debris/leaves you may have missed.
– Treat lawn with an organic herbicide; fertilizers are better suited for fall.
– Check outside hose faucets for freeze damage, and make sure all outdoor water systems are in working order.
– Clear away any remaining dead foliage and weeds from beds and lawn. Once the ground thaws, prepare garden beds for new planting.
– Fill low areas in the yard, or next to the foundation, with compacted soil.
– Clean outdoor furniture and air out cushions.
– Inspect trees for broken branches.
HENDEL Homes is a distinctive building company that focuses on architectural heritage, well-done design and fine quality craftsmanship and details. Building custom residences throughout the Twin Cities area – dream homes that stand the test of time; legacies built on beautiful. If you’re looking for a one-of-a-kind building experience, we would love to hear from you.